CPT Coding for Beginners
Introduction to the CPT Coding System
Information about medical care is exchanged with the use of a numerical system, called a CPT code, which translates into the description of a medical service, procedure, or service.
Modifiers, Sections, and Symbols of CPT
This lesson will cover modifiers, sections, and symbols found in the CPT manual.
Evaluation and Management CPT Section
This section of the CPT manual contains coding guidelines for medical office visits, consultations, nursing home, home visits, etc.
Anesthesia CPT Section
Anesthesia procedure codes are reported using CPT codes beginning with “0”. In addition, other codes are used for reporting anesthesia services provided under unusual circumstances. This lesson also covers the anesthesia modifiers.
Surgery and the Surgical Package
Information on the Surgery Section and the Surgical Package are provided in this lesson to help the student apply the information when coding from the Surgery Section of the CPT coding manual.
General & Integumentary CPT Section
The General & Integumentary System consists of subheadings to include skin, nails, repair, destruction, and breast. Subcategories include incision & drainage, excision, paring, and biopsy.
Musculoskeletal System CPT Section
Understand and apply coding guidelines found throughout the Musculoskeletal System in the CPT coding manual. Familiarize yourself with how the codes are arranged.
Respiratory CPT Section
This lesson will cover the Respiratory section and guidelines. Some of the procedures covered in the lesson will include nasal endoscopy and bronchoscopy coding.
Cardiovascular CPT Section
The cardiovascular subsection contains procedures involving the heart, pericardium, arteries, and veins. Codes for cardio procedures found in the Medicine Section will also be discussed in this lesson.
Digestive System CPT Section
This lesson will focus on common procedures of the Digestive System, such as tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, endoscopies and hernia repair. The guidelines will also be reviewed.
Urinary CPT Section
This lesson will cover coding and guidelines for the Urinary Section of the CPT manual. Coding tips are provided for coding procedures from this section.
Male and Female Genital CPT Section
Specific codes are assigned when reporting procedures on the anatomy of the male and female. Coding tips will be provided to assist the coder
Maternity CPT Section
Maternity Care and Delivery coding and guidelines are discussed in this lesson. Understanding the Obstetric Package is important when coding from this section.
Nervous System CPT Section
The Nervous System section contains subsections that describe diagnostic and therapeutic procedures from the nervous system. CPT coding involving the brain and spinal cord will be discussed in this lesson.
Radiology and Pathology CPT Sections
This lesson will cover the Radiology and Pathology Sections of the CPT Manual. Steps to proper assignment of the CPT code for these sections are added as a guide to the novice coder.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: CPT Coding for Beginners
Course Number: 7550018
Languages: English – United States, Canada and other English speaking countries
Course Type: Professional (Novice Level)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned.
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Duration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define and describe the CPT Coding System.
- Define and recognize Modifiers, Sections, and Symbols of CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Evaluation and Management CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Anesthesia CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Surgery and the Surgical CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Integumentary CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Musculoskeletal System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Respiratory CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Cardiovascular CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Digestive System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Urinary CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Male and Female Genital CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Maternity CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Nervous System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Radiology and Pathology CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Medicine CPT, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Follow Us Online
Copyright 1999-2017 Universal Class All rights reserved.